Once food descends into our stomach, a very important element is added: stomach acid!
The purpose of stomach acid is to liquify food and turn it into a soup. In order to do that in about 45 minutes, acid needs to be very strong. If our stomach acid is diluted and not very strong, we may experience digestive issues further down the track.
When it comes to drinking liquids at meal times, that can be a tough habit to crack.
There are different reasons why it’s done:
- I forgot to drink today;
- I thought I should be drinking, so I won’t eat so much;
- Food gets stuck on the way down;
- I get acid reflux when I don’t drink;
- Going to a restaurant I get a glass of water followed by perhaps a beer, ice-tea, juice, or a glass of milk.
Trust me, we are not doing our stomach any favors!
As I just mentioned before: even when we don’t drink, our mouth produces enough saliva to help the food go down the esophagus to the stomach.
I always suggest: IF liquids are consumed while eating, let it only be if needed; and do not let it be more than about 7 ounces. Obviously, I don’t want you to choke; nor do I want you to miss out on a good glass of wine or a cocktail around dinnertime. The reason I mention these is because those are alcoholic beverages that we usually sip anyway, unlike beer, water, juice, milk, and ice tea. Those 7 ounces should be consumed between 45 minutes before the meal, all the way to 45 minutes after we’re done eating.
During the 45 minutes before eating acid is building up to a pH of about 1.5-2.0. Also, don’t drink anything while you’re eating, because the food is diluting the acid to a pH of 5.0 where we start our digestion. And I recommend no liquid for about 45 minutes after our meal so the acid can liquify the food. So, figure that's two times 45 minutes, as well as about 30 minutes for actually eating. This adds up to about two hours.
Give it a try for a couple of days and see if digestion improves?
How many people go to a restaurant? First thing you get is a glass of water. Then, your waiter returns for the drink order. While that is being ordered, you’re looking at the appetizer menu. The drinks show up and the waiter takes your appetizer order. By the time those arrive your beer/water/juice is probably mostly gone; so, another drink order is placed while the main course is being ordered. Well, you get the picture…
Most people when they leave the restaurant are feeling bloated to the point they want to unbuckle their pants.
Now try that again next time, while not drinking more than 7 ounces in way of taking a sip now and then. I pretty much guarantee you will feel much better.
It’s a fun and inexpensive experiment. I’m curious to know if it made a substantial change?